Sunday, November 30, 2008

Going Home: Thanksgiving Break

I had a lot to be thankful for this long weekend. Though I have debated whether or not I like that Transy closes campus over this break, I am glad I went home. As I’ve mentioned in a previous post, I live just 15-20 minutes from campus, but Transy certainly keeps you busy, and sometimes, though I live so close, it’s hard to find time to go home.

Mom, My Nephews and some glorious Batman coloring sheets.

I love my family, and we are fairly close. I’ve grown up my whole life going to weekly family dinners at my Grandmother’s house, frequenting birthday parties for cousins, aunts, great­-aunts! Family, needless to say will always remain a top priority in my life. Interestingly, though, since I have come to college, my relationship with my family has only gotten better, and many of my friends have seen the same result among their own families! I chalk it up to my growing independence and my families growing acceptance of it—I make my own decisions, and they have learned to respect them, which makes me respect them more in turn, and our relationship reaps the benefits of that pattern!

Granddaddy with half of the Thanksgiving spread (which quickly disappeared, mind you.)

It was nice to go home and hang out with my dog, go out to eat with my mom, drive around with my dad, color with my nephews, chat with my brother and sister-in-law, and best of all, chow down on Granny’s Thanksgiving Feast with everyone.

Daddy and my Sister-in-law

I even had time to read for pleasure, as I had finished all of my pertinent assignments prior to break. With such a reading and writing-heavy course load, my eyes cross the minute I sit down with a book I want to read just for fun, so this break allowed me to finish a book I had been meaning to read forever! If anyone hasn’t read The Stranger, by the way, you owe it to yourself to do so! It’s wicked sweet!

My Brother!

For 4 days, I showered without shoes; I burned incense in my room; I slept until 11; I ate home-cooked food; I did everything you can’t really do at school, but tonight it’s back to Transy and back to the grind—and finals are coming up, too! Good thing I restocked my tea supply! I’ll keep you posted!

The Whole Crew (minus myself, a cousin and a nephew) slightly peeved at me for interrupting their food intake! Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: