Sunday, February 22, 2009

Leadership Conference--Detroit

**I sincerely apologize. I have had these blogs written for quite some time, but I ran into a pretty rough week last week and forgot to post them. I hope you enjoy them! Thanks for being patient with me! I have some exciting things coming up to share with you, so be on the lookout!**

I think I forgot to blog about it, but last semester, my sorority sisters voted me into the position of Academic Excellence Chairperson on our Executive Committee! That means I get to come up with creative ways to keep my sisters inspired to study and such. It was kind of the perfect position for me, given my love of school and love of my sorority. Anyways, every year my sorority has national leadership conferences for all new executive committee members to attend, which was held in Ypsilanti, Michigan this year, a city right outside Detroit.

Executive Committee from Transylvania. I'm in the pink jacket!


We drove up on Friday after classes, and 6 hours, one Cincinnati traffic jam and many many embarrassing sing-a-longs later, we arrived. Exhausted after the trip, we crashed pretty much immediately, and woke up around 7:30 in the morning to attend our first day’s activities. In addition to learning about effective leadership in our respective positions, our headquarters brought in some extremely valuable speakers. “The résumé girl” (http://theresumegirl.com/) came to give us tips on building our résumés, preparing for interviews and landing internships and jobs. It was great, and super beneficial, and I was so glad that I had the opportunity to attend the conference especially for this.

The other great thing about these conferences, which, trust me, will come up all over the place during your college career, is the networking opportunities! I met some great people over the weekend—people who had some great ideas that our chapter could put to good use. I have had so many opportunities like this to hone my leadership skills since I have come to college, and I can’t count the number of opportunities I have had after having attended these development sessions. I’m actually planning on attending another similar conference here on campus soon. It’s called TransyLEAD, and it’s an all campus leadership conference that takes place every year. I’ll definitely keep you posted on some of the workshops I attend there! Until, then, though, I have to get back to the grind! Take care!

Some of the officers from Kentucky schools! (Hooray networking!)

No comments: