Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Why my May Term is going to TOTALLY ROCK:

Hi folks!

I’m going to be updating lots in the next couple of days because of my slight slacking. The demands of my Job, school work, and extracurricular activities have weighed on me the past couple of weeks and have prevented me from doing much in the way of blogging. I will always make up for it, though! I swear!

Anyway, I just wanted to share some exciting news with you! If you have read my blog before, you might remember that I took a travel course to China for May Term my freshman year. Guess what? I just found out that I get to go on my second travel course, and this one is pretty much the most exciting I could ever possibly imagine!

The course title is officially, “Race, Identity, and Representation in the Guianas,” a History/Anthropology course that will look at how race and cultural identity and representations of both have changed over time. We will travel to Suriname, French Guyane, and Guyana, trek through the jungle, hang out with natives, and explore cities with two wicked awesome professors. While I could have chosen to go on a biking trip to France, or on a trip to study Dickens and theatre in England, or on any of the other 7 trips, I felt that this would literally be a once in a lifetime kind of experience. I mean, when I get older, I can go to Europe whenever I want, but when am I going to get to actually go hang out with the natives and explore the jungle in three territories in South America that are not tourist areas?
Got this when I image searched "Suriname." This is fully what I expect out of my trip!

I’m slightly nervous, as I’m terrified of certain bugs and I’ve never done anything quite like this before, but I’m so happy that Transy provides these kinds of unique opportunities so I can constantly expand my knowledge of the world and my relationship to it.

No comments: