Saturday, March 20, 2010

Open Mic Night

Shannon and I, Featured Poets at Open Mic Night

Hey! It’s been a fantastic spring break, but now it’s time to get back to the grind and give you some updates from the past few weeks.

A couple of weeks ago, Transy hosted an open mic night in honor of women’s history month. I was invited by the writing center to be a “featured poet” and read some of my own works.

I was incredibly nervous. Honestly, my life at Transy doesn’t leave too much free time to write creatively anymore, what with the job and clubs and whatnot; I was afraid the quality of my poetry had suffered as a result and I was scared to share it. I, however, was pleasantly surprised as usual.

The crowd was incredible. Not a seat was left empty, and plenty of people stood at the back to watch the performances. Representatives from all the sororities on campus read works by or about women to celebrate their triumphs over struggles. It amazed me to see that kind of support the student body showed for the creative endeavors of their peers!

One of my really good friends, Shannon, another featured poet, and I took the stage only to meet with eager and friendly faces—completely willing to listen what our poetry had to say, willing to feel what it would have them feel. After we had finished our sets, we received warm applause that let us know that we and our words were safe there.

No comments: