Thursday, October 9, 2008

I'm a TERRA Trooper!


Along with educating yourself, finding your passion, and learning to operate a washing machine, college is about learning how to become a better citizen of the community and of the world. During my first year at Transy I quickly discovered that I had more outlets for my development as a global citizen than I could possibly imagine! One stood out, though, that combined my passion for nature and environmental justice with a fun way to become active in finding solutions to campus, community and global issues—The Transylvania Environmental Rights and Responsibilities Alliance.

Whether it’s taking a trip to Washington D.C. to lobby for climate change legislation, hosting interactive environmental awareness events in Haupt Plaza, attending neighborhood cleanups, or making sustainable crafts, TERRA offers everyone a way to get involved. Since becoming the Head Representative of TERRA, I have witnessed the virility of the green initiative on our campus. At Transy’s annual involvement fair a few weeks ago, we had nearly 80 new members sign up for our mailing list! This proves that Transy students care about environmental issues, and truly think globally.

From “trash to treasures,” a sustainable craft series, to RecycleMania, from a Green Jobs Initiative to decorating a rain barrel for charity, I can’t wait to see what other exciting things our new members think up for this year, but one thing is for certain: Crimson is going green, and we’re never turning back!

Sustainability is one of those things that are constantly at the forefront of my mind, and I will, therefore, probably talk about it a lot in my blog. I hope to cover the various events held on campus to promote green issues, and I hope you’re just as excited as I am!

No comments: