Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Books, silence and a great view: my favorite place on campus


When asked to think about my favorite place on campus, I considered for a while my sorority’s chapter room, the homey and classy décor, the comfy couches, the random people who decide to pop in every now and then to give you a study break. I considered the Haupt Humanities building, the home of one of my majors and my minor. I considered Jazzman’s (our coffee shop), back circle and even my room, but when I thought about it more, nothing puts me in my element like the library.

I am a finicky studier. I need complete silence, no distractions, and interesting surroundings. This summer, while I was working in the library (best job EVER, by the way), I would sometimes go up to the 2nd floor of the stacks and sit at a desk near the fiction and poetry sections to flip through books. The desk faces a window that looks out on the street, but more interestingly, on one of the two old cabins from the 1800s that still stand on Transy’s campus today. It’s such a cool view; I loved sitting up there, and I absolutely can’t study in my room, so this year I decided to give studying up there a try. Low and behold, it was the perfect place. I’m surrounded by books, quiet, and other studious individuals. I get so much done every day, and I leave every night feeling accomplished and refreshed.

Not to mention, our Library is staffed with some of the friendliest and most helpful people I have ever met. Yeah, so, I worked with them and know them, but I’m not kidding when I say that any one of them would go out of their way to help any student here and would LOVE doing it. They’re really great.

The library may not be the most FUN place on campus, but in terms of serving to better my education, nothing beats it, except MAYBE Jazzman’s the morning after a late night of studying…maybe.

No comments: