Wednesday, January 21, 2009

MLK day of Service

Classes were canceled on Monday to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr’s birthday. Every year, Transylvania participates in the national MLK day of service, and I thought, since classes were canceled, what better time to give back?

Several students and organizations organized service projects for the day. The peanut butter and jelly club, who makes sandwiches every week for the homeless, organized a campaign to deliver baked treats to needy people. There was an event to assemble and deliver emergency kits to seniors, and the diversity action council and one of my sorority sisters organized a letter writing campaign for troops overseas that may not have anyone to write to.

I participated in the letter writing campaign, and it was extremely fulfilling to work with other students and people from the community to produce these letters that might just make some soldier’s day. Community service is huge at Transy, and just about everyone you meet dedicates their time to service on a regular basis, which is one of the reasons I connected with people here initially and one of the reasons I still love it here as much as I do. Everyone cares about promoting the well being of their community and making a difference in any way they can as much as I do, which gives me tremendous pride in my school and in the people that call it their home. =D

No comments: