Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Embracing Different Cultures: Drag Comes to Transy

One of the things that I like about Transy is its openness to all perspectives. On Wednesday night, for example, the campus lined up out the door to get into Transy’s first ever drag show. There’s a bit of a story behind how we got the pleasure of hosting some nationally renowned drag queens on our campus, so I’ll start at the beginning.

About a month ago, I attended an academic affairs presentation (that’s where professors present their recent research). My literature professor this semester and an art professor had teamed up to photograph and obtain oral histories from members of the Lexington drag community, a previously voiceless and misunderstood community. The photographs were displayed in Morlan Art Gallery (and they were beautiful!) and some of the audio clips of the interviews were played for us. It really shed some light on a facet of society I didn’t fully understand, and I was extremely impressed with the strength these women exude in the face of intolerance. The women were so appreciative of the project that they offered to give Transy “the best drag show Lexington has ever seen,” and that’s just what they did!

On Wednesday, the lovely women came out to our Carrick Theatre and performed numbers, ranging from country to pop to industrial rock and beyond. It was amazing to see how enthusiastically they were embraced by the Transylvania community, which demonstrated its overwhelming open-mindedness when over 50 students had to be turned away because the theatre was filled to capacity. I had a blast. Not only did I enjoy some mind-blowing entertainment, I also learned about a community that people often forget about. Yet another amazing Transy experience!

No comments: