Thursday, April 30, 2009

Class in the woods!

Hello all! Transy is right in the midst of May Term right now, and it has certainly been something!
First of all, I am in one of the best classes I have had so far in my college career right now. It’s called Culture of Nature! Though I leave every day feeling utterly confused as we look at all the contradictions in our society in the way we view nature, it’s one of the most enlightening classes ever. Not to mention, we get to have class in the woods! Last week, we went to McConnell Springs park here in Lexington, which epitomized the contradictions we had been analyzing—it was a beautiful park located right in the middle of one of the most industrial parts of Lexington. Next week, we’re going to Raven Run, a nature preserve in Lexington! This girl is obviously pumped.
The Blue Hole at McConnell Springs!

Along with amazing classes, the warmer weather gives students a chance get together outside and socialize, study, or play games. During the day I love taking my books out to Haupt Plaza and stretch out on a bench in the sun and read. Not that I get much reading done, as people keep coming up to talk to me, but it’s a great feeling being able to be outside again. The other night, after we had finished our homework, of course, some of my friends got together in Back Circle to play games, listen to music and just relax. The crowd grew and grew and before we knew it, Back Circle was filled with students chatting and playing volleyball, wiffle ball, and corn hole.
Although our classes still challenge us, May Term tends to be glorious fun and a welcome break from the typical strenuous semesters. More May Term updates to come! Look out!

No comments: