Thursday, April 30, 2009

May Term 2008: CHINA!

As I think I might have mentioned in a previous post, many classes go abroad during May Term, which is especially nice for those of us who might not be able to go abroad for an entire semester.

A year ago almost to the day, I was sitting on a plane for 14 hours, desperately trying (but failing) to sleep on my way to China as part of my May Term class. Before we left, we spent 2 weeks studying the art of early China, and then set off to see it in person!

I’m gonna keep this explanation pretty short so I can tell the story in pictures! We spent our time touring Shanghai, Beijing, Suzhou, Yiixing, and Xian. We visited unbelievable art museums, toured streets full of independent artists, saw famous Yiixing teapots being made, hiked on the Great Wall, visited Buddhist temples, and toured the site of Terracotta Warriors among other things. So without further ado: Pictures!

Me on the Great Wall!


Me with a Terracotta Warrior in Xian!


Big Wild Goose Pagoda!


Artist making a Yiixing teapot!


Lion Forest Garden in Suzhou!


Me with Two Buddhist Statues in the Shanghai Art Museum!


Yu Garden in Shanghai!

No comments: