Sunday, January 31, 2010

Living off campus

Hello! When you get to be a junior and senior, many of your friends will start moving off campus. Having your own apartment can be pretty exciting, but there are also some downsides.

Pro: PrivacyOne of the things people are terrified of when they come to college is having a roommate. Especially those of us who grew up used to having our own space that we could escape to when necessary. I'm not going to lie to you, having a roommate isn't easy. My roommate my first two years of college was and is one of my best friends, but living together was hard at times. She had a boyfriend, I kept impossible hours studying all the time, I wanted to nap when she wanted to study, I wanted to study when she wanted to nap--you know how it goes. Living off campus, especially if you opt to live on your own like I did, means no having to work out schedules, no awkward "can my boyfriend stay the night" phone calls, no worrying about waking anyone up if you come home late.
Con: PrivacyAll that said, living off campus, especially at Transy, kinda isolates you. My roommate and I were best friends even though we had hard times living together. On campus, I knew that she would always show up soon if I needed someone to talk to or take a study break with. Now I have to pack up my stuff and haul myself over to campus every night if I want to hang out with my friends that still live there. Also, it distances you some from the social scene. You're not as aware when campus-wide events are going on. Yeah yeah, you can check columns, but sometimes events get lost on there--you don't get to see the posters and advertising tables set up in Forrer Hall, and those are the things that -really- keep you in the know about cool events.
Pro: Having your own kitchen
Having your own kitchen is, in my opinion, probably the best thing about living off campus. Not only have I learned how to cook, I have lost weight and I always know exactly what is going into my food. Now, I'm not dogging on Transy food necessarily, it always tasted good, but the unlimited options in the cafeteria (and that goes for any school) can often lead to over eating and can egg on the freshman 15--I gained it. When I decided to go vegetarian last year, it became harder to find what I was craving in the cafeteria--they always had vegetarian options, but sometimes it just wasn't what I wanted. Having my own kitchen gives me the freedom to control everything about what I put in my body. I know that what I'm eating is going to be healthy, and I have the ability to cook only the exact amount I want to eat. That freshman 15 is gone now!

Con: Having your own kitchen.

Cooking takes a lot of time and planning that most college students don't have to spare. Plus, the cafeteria is hands down the best bonding place on campus, aside from Greek events if you decide to go through recruitment. I made so many of my friends freshman and sophomore year because we just happened to be eating at the same time. The food's nice, but the company is better, if you will. Now, for me, I can't go to dinner. I get off work right when dinner is ending. If you don't have a job, though, and want to make the effort a couple of times a week, I'd recommend eating in the caf every now and again to maintain some of those close friendships and maybe make new ones!

Pro: NO SHOWER SHOES!


Okay, let's face it, having to share a bathroom with an entire hall full of girls can be kinda awkward sometimes. It's weird that you have to wear shoes in the shower, and sometimes you have to wait for an open sink to brush your teeth. This is why having your own bathroom can TOTALLY RULE. No more shower shoes; you know that the hair in the tub is yours, and you know everything is clean because you keep it that way. And hey, if you wanna walk around your place in the buff for a while, no big deal!

Con: Having your own bathroom.

Cleaning the bathroom sucks. Even one as tiny as mine. I hate scrubbing the toilet and cleaning the tub more than any other chore besides dishes. I keep it clean, but it's time out of my day that sometimes I don't have. At Transy, we have an incredible staff that cleans up after us, (don't take advantage, though! Their jobs are hard enough as it is--at least clean up to the best of your ability!) If a toilet is malfunctioning, or a sink drain clogged, no need to wait on your landlord, the transy staff will have it taken care of in no time! Also, awkward run ins in the bathroom in the middle of the night are a great way to make friends with people on your hall you never would have imagined getting along with. I can name off countless people with whom I started a friendship in the bathroom. I know that's a little weird and gross, but you'll see what I mean when you get here!

Of course this isn't every pro and con, but these are the biggies--hope maybe it's helpful if you ever consider moving off campus!

No comments: