Sunday, November 14, 2010

Newspaper Conference!

A couple of Saturdays ago, Transy funded my trip to the Student Media Advisor’s conference at the Galt house in Louisville, KY. I went to represent our newspaper, The Rambler, which I have rambled about before (It’s late. Forgive a terrible play on words).

Now, at Transy, we don’t yet have an official journalism program, so everything we do at the Rambler is completely volunteer and everything we learn about Journalism, we have to teach ourselves or learn from our WONDERFUL advisor, Terri McLean. Needless to say, I was pretty stoked to go to this conference free of charge to learn more about the practice of journalism.

I arrived bright and early at 8:00am to drive around Louisville and to find parking, and I arrived at registration at 8:30. So some people might think I’m crazy for getting up that early on a Saturday to go to a conference, but I can actually say it was invigorating, inspiring and informative! I loved it. The first session I attended was called “First Amendment Reality Shows” during which I learned all about the rights of the student press and networked with some lawyers that could help us out if we ever ran into conflicts.

The Galt House Hotel in Louisville! It was so nice!

I also attended other energizing sessions that gave me all kinds of cool ideas to the paper. I attended a session about writing sex columns, a session about Nelly Bly and her ground breaking journalistic techniques, and a session about “Where to Find News.” I was so happy to bring all of these ideas back to my fellow staff members so that we can keep improving our paper. No doubt, with continued support like that which I received to attend this conference, student media on Transy’s campus will continue to flourish!

No comments: