Wednesday, October 13, 2010

So, funny story, I actually wrote this blog last week and when I went to post this week’s, I realized that I wrote it, but didn’t actually post it. Chalk it up to a disorder I like to call “senior scatter brain.” Anyways, here it is:

I’m not going to lie, when I was still on the meal plan at Transy, it was a little tough when it came to eating healthy and finding vegetarian things to munch on. The quality of the food wasn’t bad, but there weren’t a whole lot of vegetarian choices and it was hard to keep track of your caloric intake.
I am happy to write today, though, that Transy has since become 100 times better in both arenas. I even find myself walking over to campus to eat on days when I don’t feel like cooking!
Here are some of the biggest and best changes I’ve noticed:

1.) The 1780 café, our late night diner, used to serve all kinds of awesome but bad-for-you items. Consuming a ton of calories super late at night has frequently been cited as a reason for weight gain, and certainly the 1780 contributed to many Transy students’ freshman 15. This year, though, the 1780 has been updated! Not only do they serve healthier (and still equally satisfying) items, but they also list the calories of each item right there on the menu! I was so excited to see this change, because it gives me more control over my diet. Even though I may want that 700 calorie flat bread pizza at midnight, I can opt for the healthier 400 calorie wrap if I so choose.

2.) MORE VEGETARIAN OPTIONS! It used to be that I would go to the cafeteria and have the choice of salad bar, pasta, or cheese pizza for dinner and lunch every day. The options for vegetarians were limited to say the least. We might occasionally get a tofu dish, but it would not be the best. This year, though, the food service staff has made a ton of progress toward offering a more diverse array of meat-free options, and they’re great about identifying which dishes do and do contain meat! A couple weeks ago, I had a fantastic Mediterranean pita pocket with eggplant and other veggies and just the other day I had a DELICIOUS vegetarian Reuben sandwich!

3.) The staff is completely open to suggestions. I have seen more food service surveys go out this year than in previous years. They actively seek to bring us the best dining experience possible and constantly work toward improvement.

Needless to say, the food and dining experience at Transy is the best that it has ever been!

No comments: