Friday, October 29, 2010

Weekend of Service!

Community service is something that is incredibly important to me, though I often don’t get a chance to do it because of my crazy school and work schedule.

Last weekend, though, I was able to participate in not just one awesome service project, but TWO, and other members of the Transy community were at my side for both.
On Saturday, Psi Chi (The Psychology Honorary), had a craft day at The Florence Crittenton Home, which is about a 5 minute walk from campus. It is a mostly a home for teenage girls who are pregnant or have children. We hung out with the girls and some of their precious babies for a couple hours making picture frames and thank you cards, eating cookies and chatting. They were so appreciative, and their crafts turned out incredible! On the way back to campus, something equally cool happened. We passed one of the neighborhood houses, and 3 children were running around the yard. They spied our picture frames, and began asking questions. We were able to not only give the girls at the home a fun day, but also to make the day of these neighborhood children by giving them the rest of our picture frames. What a cool experience to make so many people smile in a day!


Team Phi Mu at the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer 5k

Sunday was even more humbling. It was the 2010 Making Strides Against Breast Cancer 5k. Every year Transy has a strong team that participates in the walk and raises money for breast cancer research. It’s an issue that’s close to me and my family, and I had not been able to participate in previous years, so I was super excited to get the opportunity this year. I raised 165.00, walked/ran with some beautiful and inspiring people—survivors of breast cancer, their families, and those who were just generally supportive. I don’t even have words to describe the emotions I felt being a part of this event. It was AWESOME! People gave each other high fives after turning the first corner; smiles were abundant; it truly made me proud to be a part of the Transy and Lexington community.

If service is something that you hold close to your heart, then you can always find a way to get involved at Transy. Check out our office for community service and civic engagement: http://www.transy.edu/campus/comm_service.htm

No comments: