Saturday, March 19, 2011

Okay! It’s spring break, so I’m going to catch up on all the blogs I said I would get to!
First, let me take you back to February. The reason I had to neglect my blog so much can be summed up with two words: graduate school. I found out in late January that I had made it to the top 6 finalists for my top choice graduate school, UNC Chapel Hill. The department flew me down to interview and find out more about their program. Let’s just say I fell in love. They had the faculty and students I wanted to work with, and they were located smack dab in the middle of a gorgeous progressive city that fit my personality to a T.
My visit went exceptionally well. I had a great time, and I felt like I connected with the faculty and students. Unfortunately, I got an e-mail later that week saying that they would love to have me in their department, but that the school did not have enough money to fund me.
Needless to say, it was the biggest heartbreak I had experienced in my entire college career, and maybe beyond that. I had worked so hard to get there.
I had to take a couple days off school to recover, but my professors were understanding and let me make everything up.
I wanted to share this semi-embarrassing story because I think it’s important to know that sometimes the things you will work for throughout your entire college career may not work out. We are living in a struggling economy, and it’s becoming harder and harder for even the most qualified students to achieve their dream job or dream school immediately.
I never expected it to happen to me, but that’s life. It WILL happen to you at some point. Maybe you don’t get that scholarship you want. Maybe your sports team loses in the championship game. The important thing is to surround yourself with people who are going to help you put the pieces back together. You get that at Transy. I am setting up meetings next week with the education department to see about teacher certification. I have professors looking for potential job opportunities to hold me over for the next year until I can reapply for grad school or find something else to do with my life. I’ve said it a million times on here, but the people at Transy actually care about my future and my success. I don’t know if I could have handled this heartbreak without my Transy family.
Make sure, in your college search, ask yourself this—will this school be able to help me when things don’t go my way, or will they leave me to figure it all out on my own? I guarantee that you want to be able to answer with the former, and you’ll definitely get that at Transy.

No comments: