Saturday, March 19, 2011

Transy Arts

Now that I’ve thoroughly depressed you with my sob story, let me lift you up by talking about Transy’s vibrant arts community!
In high school, my family finally convinced me that I would love theatre. I played Mrs. Dubose in To Kill a Mockingbird for my first role and had my first lead role by junior year. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to participate in Transylvania’s wonderful theatre program due to my crazy schedule, but I do get to enjoy almost every performance they put together.


That's me as Mrs. Dubose in high school.

The latest production that I attended was Aloha Say the Pretty Girls, and I was fascinated! It’s fragmented plot left some confused, but I loved how it commented on how people tend to drift in and out of our lives almost randomly. It wasn’t a very hopeful play at the end, but it was intellectual and beautifully performed. It definitely left me with plenty to think about afterwards, which I always appreciate.

During the performance of Aloha Say the Pretty Girls

Here is a review that our student newspaper published about the production: http://transyrambler.wordpress.com/2011/02/24/%E2%80%98aloha%E2%80%99-complex-but-enjoyable/
I’m always impressed with our theatre department’s productions, which are largely student driven. It’s always a good and cheap way to spend a Friday evening!
Also, while I haven’t actually been in a theatre department production, I did recently have a role in a student led production of The Vagina Monologues! One of my friends and sorority sisters, Abby Adams (you can check out her blog on here, too!) had the idea to perform these monologues as a way to raise money for the Bluegrass Rape Crisis Center and the V-Day Campaign, which raises money for the prevention of violence against women and girls.


The posters for The Vagina Monologues performance!

Being a part of the production was one of the most rewarding experiences of my college career. We ended up raising over 900 dollars in just two nights, all of which was donated directly to the Bluegrass Rape Crisis Center!

The arts community here isn’t just limited to theatre; we’ve recently had professors and students exhibiting visual art, publishing creative writing and putting on beautiful musical performances. Let’s just say that arts is becoming increasingly salient at Transy, and I wouldn’t have it any other way!


A beautiful performance by our a capella group!

No comments: